Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that has been around for centuries. It is made with pasta, cheese, and a meat sauce. There are many variations of this dish, but the most popular is the meat sauce lasagna. Keep reading for our easy and delicious lasagna recipe!
Lasagna is a family favorite dish that every one loves. And just about everyone has their very own way of making it.
There are a lot of lasagna recipes out there but this has been one of our most requested recipes from family and friends.
It has a delicious and hearty meat base and a cheese sauce that pulls all the flavors together. It’s also easy to make!
What is lasagna?
Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that can be made with beef, pork, chicken or turkey. It is typically layered with pasta, meat sauce, cheese and then baked in the oven.
Can lasagna be made ahead of time?
This delicious lasagna recipe can be made ahead of time and frozen for later use. It also doubles easily so you can make two lasagnas at once. It’s perfect to feed a crowd!
If you want to make it ahead of time then after lasagna is assembled, you can either bake it immediately or cover and refrigerate it for later.
If you are refrigerating the lasagna, be sure to cover it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Lasagna can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. When you are ready to bake it, simply remove the lasagna from the fridge and let it come to room.
Lasagna is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a winter meal. This recipe makes enough for two lasagnas, so you can either freeze one for later or invite some friends over and double the recipe!
Can lasagna be a freezer meal?
Yes, you can make lasagna as a freezer meal. Make and assemble your lasagna in a large tin foil pan. After it is prepared wrap it in saran wrap and then wrap it in tin foil. Place it in your freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to bake it, take it out to thaw or bake straight from the freezer.
Adjust time as needed if it is frozen.
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1/4 C Onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp Garlic Pepper
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 6oz can Tomato Paste + 1 can water
- 2 8oz cans Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 16 oz Box Lasagna Noodles (such as Barilla)
- 2 lbs Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 8oz packages Cream Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- Allow Cream Cheese to come to room temperature
- Sautée chopped onion in oil on medium high heat then add ground beef and garlic pepper
- Add tomato paste and can of water (be sure to get all the paste out with the water), tomato sauce, oregano and bay leaves.
- Allow to simmer for at least 4-6 hours. 8 hours is preferred but not required.
- While lasagna noodles are cooking (see box instructions) mix the cream cheese and eggs in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Assemble your lasagna in the following manner:
- 1/2 meat sauce mixture, noodles, 1/2 shredded cheese, noodles, all of the cream cheese mixture, noodles, meat, noodles, remaining mozzarella cheese on top.*
Bake covered with foil at 350° for 30-40 minutes or 1 hour if refrigerated.
Remove foil for last 15 minutes of cooking.
*NOTE: For an easier serving lasagna, put all meat on bottom layer then follow same order above.
What can you serve with lasagna?
Lasagna is a hearty dish. It pairs well with a fresh salad and garlic bread.
Can you refrigerate leftovers?
Yes! Lasagna sometimes tastes even better the next day. Place leftovers in an air tight container and place in your refrigerator. It should be eaten within 3-5 days.