Learn how to smoke a Meatloaf with this easy recipe. Homemade Meatloaf is a classic comfort food that is the perfect meal for family and friends. Once you learn how to make meatloaf in your smoker or grill you will never go back to your oven. These simple instructions are easy to follow and will make the most delicious smoked meatloaf.
Homemade Meatloaf has always been a family favorite. Sometimes Meatloaf is given a bad reputation but it is actually quite delicious and a easy meal to prepare. The flavors for this recipe are a winning combination that our children love and truth be told- there are rarely any leftovers!
What is meatloaf?
Meatloaf is a dish traditionally made of ground meat that has been mixed with other ingredients and formed into the shape of a loaf, then baked or smoked. Most people use ground beef for their meatloaf. Other variations may include ground pork, veal, venison, poultry or seafood.
How long do you cook Meatloaf for?
It is important for Meatloaf to be cooked all the way through. You will want your loaf to reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Be sure to use a proper meat thermometer to get an accurate reading. I love my meat thermometer from Thermoworks. Most meatloaf recipes will require you to cook your meatloaf for at least one hour.
What to serve with Meatloaf?
Meatloaf is a comfort food that is typically served with other comfort foods. Any type of potato would make a great pairing. Baked Potatoes, Hasselback Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, french fries,Twice Baked Potatoes or scalloped potatoes would be delicious!
Adding a fresh or steamed veggie would always be a great side dish to eat with it.
How to Smoke a Meatloaf
Preheat Smoker to 225° or oven to 350
Ingredients for Meatloaf:
- 2.5 lbs 80/20 Ground Beef
- 1/2 White Onion Chopped
- 1 sleeve Soda Crackers (crushed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C Ketchup
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
Ingredients for Meatloaf Glaze:
- 3/4 C Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Mustard
- 1-4 C Brown Sugar
How to make Glaze for Meatloaf
The glaze for this meatloaf consists of three simple ingredients that you probably have in your pantry. The glaze is the last thing you’ll add to your meatloaf after is cooked and it is the finishing touch. To make the glaze you will want to combine all three ingredients into a small sauce pan. Slowly warm up your ingredients on medium low heat, stirring often. Make sure your brown sugar melts completely. Once it is liquefied and warmed through it is finished and ready for glazing.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. I do this by hand with food safe gloves because it’s easier but you can mix with a large spoon.
- Shape into loaf and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Place in smoker and insert oven safe probe thermometer into middle of meatloaf. I love using my meat thermometer from Thermoworks. It works great and is so easy to use.
- Smoke for 1 hour
- While smoking, mix ingredients for your glaze and warm slightly so the brown sugar can melt and it will spread on your meatloaf easier. Brush on glaze and increase temperature to 375°.
- Cook until an internal temperature of 155°, remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Temperature will continue to 160° during this resting time
- Slice and enjoy!
[mv_create key=”57″ title=”Smoked Meatloaf” thumbnail=”https://slowpokecooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Meatloaf-12-scaled.jpg” type=”recipe”]
Can you reheat Meatloaf?
Yes, you can reheat Meatloaf either in your microwave, oven or smoker. Make sure leftovers are properly stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Leftovers will be good for 3-5 days.
Can I double this Meatloaf recipe?
Yes, you can always double the recipe. You can do this by making one extra large loaf or by making two smaller loafs. If you make one large loaf you will need to cook it for longer.
Can you freeze Meatloaf?
Yes, you can freeze meatloaf. For Meatloaf that been cooked you will want to store it an airtight container. Once frozen be sure to consume within 3 months. For raw meatloaf wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight freezer bag. Raw meatloaf should last up to six months in the freezer.
Other smoked recipes you may like:
- The Best Smoked Cornish Game Hen
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- Smoked Crispy Buffalo Wings
- How to Make Hot Dog Burnt Ends
- Smoked Beef Back Ribs
- Smoked Cheez-Its
- Smoked Honey Mustard Pork Loin
- Herb Buttered Smoked Prime Rib
- Smoked Teriyaki Beef Jerky
- How to Smoke a Turkey
- How to Smoke a Turkey Breast
- How to Smoke a Pork Butt
- Smoked Honey Orange Pork Loin
Don’t be afraid to learn how to smoke a meatloaf! Homemade Meatloaf is a comfort food that everyone loves! Smoking your Meatloaf is so easy you will never use any other method. Follow these simple instructions to make the most delicious smoked meatloaf.